What if you can’t pay your tax bill on time?

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible if you have missed your tax bill payment. How you contact HMRC depends on what you need to pay.

You have to pay interest if you pay late. You may avoid penalties by contacting HMRC as soon as possible.

If you cannot pay because of coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you did not make a Self Assessment payment on account due in July 2020, your payment deadline will have been delayed (deferred) until 31 January 2021. You do not have to contact HMRC and will not have to pay a penalty.

Contact the HMRC coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline if you cannot pay any other tax bills because of coronavirus.

What if you’re self-employed?
If you’re self-employed and coronavirus has affected your business, you may claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS).

If you cannot pay your Self Assessment tax bill

You can set up a payment plan to spread the cost of your latest Self Assessment bill if:

  • you owe £30,000 or less
  • your tax returns are up to date
  • you do not have any other payment plans or debts with HMRC
  • it’s less than 60 days after the payment deadline

You do not need to contact HMRC if you set up a payment plan online.

Call the Self Assessment helpline if you’re not eligible for a payment plan or cannot use the online service.

Self Assessment Payment Helpline
Telephone: 0300 200 3822
Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm (closed on bank holidays)
Find out about call charges

If you cannot pay other taxes

You might be able to set up a Time to Pay Arrangement with HMRC if you’re unable to pay any other taxes in full. This lets you spread the cost of your tax bill by paying what you owe in instalments.

How you do this depends on whether you’ve received a payment demand.

If you’ve received a payment demand, like a tax bill or a letter threatening you with legal action, call the HMRC office that sent you the letter.

If you’ve not received a bill or letter, call the Payment Support Service (PSS).

Payment Support Service

Telephone: 0300 200 3835
Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm (closed on bank holidays)
Find out about call charges

Nominated partners in business partnerships can negotiate a Time to Pay Arrangement with HMRC on behalf of the partnership or individual partners.

If you need advice on your tax matters, please call us. Our certified accountants surely will offer you a free consultation.

Leave a Reply